Accommodation will make up the most significant percentage of your total monthly budget as a student living in Budapest. You will need an amount of approximately € 200-500 to cover your monthly accommodation costs.
The amount you’ll need will depend on the type of accommodation you choose:
- Dormitories and student hostels cost about € 270-440,
- or you can rent a private apartment for about € 500-600.
The living costs in Budapest are about another 150-250 EUR/months. This sum includes grocery, food, personal hygiene, local transport, telephone bills, and other expenses apart from the tuition fee and housing.
New students first arriving to live in Hungary usually prefer to live in a dormitory, as this is the most convenient and affordable option. In addition, it is also a great opportunity to make friends with other international students!
Metropolitan Partner Hostel: CEU Residence Center
Budapest Metropolitan University has a buzzing, well-equipped partner hostel with many international students.
- GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR INTERMEDIARY SERVICES REGARDING DORMITORY APPLICATION
Click here for pictures
The CEU Residence Center is a hotel and conference center where up to hundreds of students can find a home during their university studies. Its special feature is that it has its own swimming pool and a gym, which residents can use free of charge. It can be reached by public transport in 12 minutes from the main building of the METU. The address of the CEU dormitory is: 1106 Budapest, Kerepesi út 87.
It is run as a hotel-type service and students can find many other facilities such as:
- 24/7 reception
- 24/7 security service
- 24/7 maintenance service
- cleaning of the rooms and fresh bedsheets once in a month
- swimming pool, sauna and gym
- billiard, foosball, table tennis
- iron, vacuum cleaner
- study room
- common kitchen and TV lounge on every floor
- sports field and outdoor tennis court (sport equipment available at the reception)
- garden with relaxing furniture
- bicycle storage
- pub (can be booked for private parties)
Other services subject to payment:
- Other services subject to payment:
- restaurant, café, shop
- laundry room (Washing machines and drying machines can be used with coins. Coins can be purchased at the reception. 1 coin = approx. 500 HUF)
- guarded parking
- fridge rental to the room (approx. 20,000 HUF/semester or 35,000HUF/ a year)
From July 1, 2024:
- Deposit*: 750 EUR
- 2-bedded shared room for 5 months: 290 EUR/person/month
- 2-bedded shared room for 10 months: 270 EUR/person/month
- single room for 5 months: 440 EUR/month
- single room for 10 months: 412 EUR/month
After your arrival, monthly payments can be made by bank card or via bank transfer.
What is the Deposit?
* What is 'deposit'?
The deposit acts as a safeguard should the tenant cause any damage to the property or does not take the accommodation for the time period laid down in the Lease Agreement or does not fulfill his/her obligations set out in the Lease Agreement in any other way. This payment is fully refundable upon check-out as long as there have been no damages to the property.
Cancellation of dormitory reservation and refund: In case you pay the dormitory-related payments, but eventually you do not want to move in and would like to have your money refunded, you must inform us about your decision until the 15th of August or 15th of January. If you miss the deadline, your dormitory-related payments are non refundable.
For further details, please contact: https://www.metropolitan.hu/ask-sic
How to reserve a place for yourself?
Step 1: In parallel with depositing the payments, make sure that you submit your dormitory room preference in the form that you will be provided via email upon being accepted.
Step 2: Transfer the dormitory deposit (EUR 750) and the required rental fee(s) together with your tuition fees.
Step 3: Your room reservation is complete.
*Deposit: It is refundable at the end of your lease agreement if no damages were done
1. Please note if you decide to leave the dormitory before the expiration day of your contract the dormitory-related payments are non-refundable.
2. Please note if you don't cancel your dormitory reservation until the 15th of August or 15th of January, the dormitory-related payments are non-refundable.
3. Please note that if there is any damage caused by you at the dormitory, the deposit is non-refundable.
4. Please note that your first month fee is calculated for the September's/February’s rental. If by any reason you arrive after the beginning of September/February, you still have to pay every month's rent for the entire lease period.
5. If by any reason you arrive before the beginning of September/February, you need to pay separately for every extra night that you spend at the dormitory outside the lease period.
To apply for dormitory placement, please contact us via : https://www.metropolitan.hu/ask-sic